Friday, April 01, 2011

5 shoes, 5 different brands, 6 miles!!

6 miles - 41:00

So I decided to do something a little different tonight for my run.  I've been reading a lot about minimal running, positives/negatives, how to, how not to and all that good stuff.  So I have some shoes I've been wanting to run in and I decided tonight would be the night.  Each shoe got 1.2 miles(aprox 8 min) to let me see what it had and how it felt.  I will say that I do really enjoy running in a minimal shoe but it is something that should be done very gradually.  It changes the way that your foot strike happens and in turn works different muscles, tendons and ligaments. Its a great feeling to feel the road and feel light and fast on your feet.  Two of the things the minimalist shoes try to do is bring you lower to the ground which generally means less cushioning and they lower the heel to toe drop in the shoe.  In most shoes there is a 12-15mm drop from heel to toe.  The drop in most minimalist shoes are 9mm, 6mm, 3mm or in vibrams case 0mm.  If you have more questions on this or how you can incorporate this into your training please ask.

The Five Shoes: Top to Bottom, Left to Right
Brooks Green Silence(Black/Green) - Racing Flat
Adidas Adios(Yellow) - Racing Flat
Vibram Five Finger Bikila
Saucony Peregrine(Blue/Black) - Minimalist Trail Shoe
Mizuno Wave Revolver(Blue) - Racing Flat



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Common man, just do your run. 3mm or 6mm who cares :)