Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pushing through the pain

Friday
7 miles
Felt good.  Took it real easy knowing that I had 28 miles the next day.

Saturday
28.6 miles - 3:56:00
Longest run to date and still felt pretty good for the most part.  These runs are really quite fun considering I've had some good friends to run with every single time so far.  Barry and I did and out and back starting at my house at 5am.  I ended up averaging about 8:18/mi for the entire run.  Everytime so far my quads seem to be the first thing to give out on me and it seems to be at about 20-22 miles.  Even though I was getting very sore I still felt like I could pick up the pace with ease.  I ended up getting 71 miles in for the week which is the most I've done since college. 

Sunday
14 miles - 1:48:46
As hard as the 29 miles was the day before I think this run was harder.  My son Damon and I headed out at about 7am.  Damon on bike and me on foot.  It was definitely warmer than I would have liked it to be.  My quads/IT Bands were so tight and sore on the run.  I was still able to average 7:43/mi with a heart rate in the 155 bpm range.   Gels(Powerbar) seem to be the easiest way to get calories in my body on these runs.  The Powerbag gels are the thinest of all of them so they go down much easier.  I'm also going to try Fig Newtons to try to get calories in on the run.  I'm starting to feel really really strong and am very encouraged by how my training is going. 

No comments: