Thursday, February 10, 2011

Goals and Accountability

5 miles - 35:00

I have been feeling great everytime I go for a run which means I am really enjoying myself while I'm out there.  There is one big reason why and that is consistency.  There is also two big reasons why I have been consistent and those are having set goals and being held accountable.  By posting what I have been doing on this blog and seeing that you all are reading about it has helped keep me accountable.  I know that if I don't do anything you all will see it.  This motivates me on a daily basis along with the goals I have set to get out the door everyday. 

I want to help you all do the same thing.  Here is my idea and if you think it is stupid that is fine but if you want to come along with me that would be awesome.  Lets do something this year that we haven't done before.  One of my goals for this year is to run an ultra marathon.  Anything over a 50k(31 miles) would suffice but I really want to do a 50 miler in October.  What are your goals?  It can be anything you want it to be as long as its something you haven't done before and something that you have to work at to achieve. 

Here is how its going to work.  If you want to join me in this, all you have to do is email me with your First and Last Name, City and State, and your goal that you want to accomplish THIS YEAR!!  I'm going to put everyone that emails me into an excel spreadsheet and then I'm going to put it on our website, post it in our store and attach it to our montly newsletters.  I also want you to email me when you accomplish the goal so we can mark it accomplished.  If you accomplish your goal then you can give us a new one to put on the spreadsheet. 

Rules for the goals are simple: 
#1) It has to be an achievable goal.  Don't make it so difficult that you can't make it.  The goal can be anything from running your first 5k/10k/Half/Full Marathon to working out 5 or 6 days a week to running a certain time for a race.

#2) Make the goal easy for me to put in the excel file.  Such as:
Run my first 5k
Workout 5 days a week for 4 months straight
Break 4 hours for the marathon

#3) Make sub goals. This is something you get to do on your own and you don't have to share these with anyone.  For example, I want to run an 50 mile ultra marathon.  I know to do this I need to run more mileage.  So my sub goal is to get to where I can run 60-70 miles/week on a regular basis.  Sub goals are like a road map that help you accomplish what your ultimate goal is. I think you get the idea.

Start emailing me so we can help each other accomplish some big things this year.  My email address is bensigle@manhattanrunningco.com.  In the subject line put: Goals for 2011. 

No comments: