Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Snowy Run


5 miles - 36:00
Avg HR - 155

Tonight I tried out two things I've never tried before. I ran with a handheld water bottle and I ran with screws in my brand new shoes(picture attached).

As for the water bottle, it wasn't as bad as I expected. Since I'm going to start doing longer runs and races that require you to carry I thought I would try it.

As for the shoes, I usually wear Yak tracks but with the race I'm doing this weekend they won't work. I've been told that they will break on the rocks and roots. To give myself a chance on the ice, snow and mud I had to put sheet metal screws in. They don't hurt the shoe one bit and work really well. My entire run was on packed snow and ice tonight and I didn't slip a single time. I feel ready to race. We will see.

Great website for finding your ideal heart rate zones for training: http://www.fitzones.com/members/Fitness/heartrate_zones.asp
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

how do u screw them in??? and they dont hurt ur heel?

Anonymous said...

Frank is a smart guy... What race are you running in?

Ben Sigle said...

Use a drill to screw them in. Its only a 3/8" screw so it doesn't go in very far. I'm running in the Run Toto Run 10 mile trail race in KC. And....Frank is a very smart guy!!

Anonymous said...

Your logs are funny!
-Barker

Swiftwick Hawk said...

That is amazing. Need to do that for my icy, 5 am trail runs. Have a great race and let me know how those Merino Fours do!

JP said...

Screws are the only way to go. Hope you are prepared for mudfest this weekend with the predicted temps.